Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Daniel

July 22nd-

Daniel- wow! Truly an escape into someone else's bourgeois fairy tale life! It was our anniversary and we wanted to go somewhere special, memorable....somewhere to get all dolled up for......somewhere we ordinarily wouldn't go. I chose Daniel. To Nathan's surprise and delight, I had car service pick us up and whisk us away to this culinary wonderland. Everything was very posh, very formal. The service was impeccable. The waiters performed. Our plates always touched the table in unison. Our main waiter said things like, "May I propose...." in his fancy songful voice, and nodded his head in a genteel sort of way as he disappeared to fetch things for us. We had a great table.....maybe the best. A little velvet cushy sofa of our very own in the corner of the main room, set off so we had a great view of everything.....and there was much to see....chandeliers, curtains, pillars.....everything a fancy place should possess. In this place, I definitely could not help but feel that this moment was special. I had originally intended to discuss all of the food in every tiny little detail......but really.....what's the point? Basically, the food was all good, but frankly, I don't need to pay quite this much for even better. Nothing really stood out as the best I have ever had in any category. Maybe my expectations were too high, but for me, the "ta da" of the place is all in the name and the fanciness of it all. In fact, I feel like the portions are way to large for a place that requires you to order their prescribed list of courses. I felt like a turkey being fattened for Thanksgiving dinner, tortured by the amount of food that appeared in front of me throughout the evening. I couldn't even enjoy it. I fully expected to have nightmares of sugar plums dancing around my head ....but with knives. Go once.....and earn the right to discuss it.

No comments: