Saturday, November 29, 2008

Kefi

November 29th-

After spending the entire Thanksgiving weekend in three city blocks, Nathan and I felt like going a bit farther for dinner this evening.....and not eating anything that, to us, resembled comfort food.....not being big on that type of cuisine as it is. Since I had to work all day, on my usual day off mind you, I left the planning to Nathan, and was not disappointed. He didn't tell me where we were going, just had me accompany him through the upper west side until we ended up in front of a Greek restaurant named Kefi. I was thrilled. It was different. We had never been there....and it was recommended to me by Liz. The lobby was full. We were worried it may be too much of a wait, but were happily surprised to find that twenty minutes was all we were asked to wait. Soon after, we were lead into a cozy, small dining room. It was hot as hell in there. But.....the waiter was nice and speedy and I was finally sitting down and drinking wine after spending the last nine hours on my feet. The menu looked interesting. There were several things that looked good, but we settled on the spreads, the warm feta, the meatballs and the lamb chop special. The spreads were so good. They came out in four small bowls....eggplant, sundried tomato, yogurt and chic pea. the chic pea spread was so creamy and a touch sweet. It was by far my favorite. The yogurt was in second place and then the others. The warm feta came in a bowl with pita, olives, onions and tomatoes. I so loved it! The feta was great....just sour enough, but also creamy and rich. Then, we were given the meatballs and the lamb. I don't usually order meatballs, but Liz highly recommended them, so I had to try them. I must say, they were tasty. The lamb wasn't my favorite. I expected it to be a bit more tender, but the spinach and rice combination that accompanied it was possibly the best rice dish I have ever had.....creamy, tasty.....a nice surprise. It was a bit too much food for the two of us, but when we only picked three dishes, the waiter said it may not be enough food. Since we had never been there and weren't familiar with the portion sizes, we took his advice. Even though it was more than we needed, I didn't regret it. We were able to try a lot and now I have lunch for tomorrow.

We used to go to a restaurant/bar called Loft. It was special to us because this is where we were when we decided to get married in New York. We were sad to see it close. We recently found out that Kefi is relocating to that spot this coming Wednesday. Knowing this makes me feel happy. I anticipate our return to Kefi in their new location.

No comments: