Saturday, May 23, 2009

Yuki

May 16th-

I don't even know where to start in this review of Yuki. It is definitely the best Japanese restaurant in my neighborhood, and my "go to" for takeout. Seriously, I think we eat from Yuki once a week. You can eat indoors, in its impeccably clean and modern space or when the weather is nice, you can eat outside like we did. What's good? What's not!? My favorite appetizers are the age tofu....so creamy on the inside, yet light and crunchy on the outside. How they get that tempura batter to stick to the soft wet tofu is beyond me. And, let's not forget the tuna tartar with quail egg, which is just so rich tasting, and colorful to look at......the deep red tuna playing against the bright yellow yolk of the egg.... mmm.......so decadent! I do love that the Japanese know that how something looks is just as important as how it tastes. You eat with your eyes first, after all. They also know how to make good sushi here. I have two choices for top sushi rolls. First, the shrimp tempura roll, because the shrimp is tasty and perfectly cooked, and the tempura surrounding it gives it a nice crunchy texture. They also sneak a tiny bit of a mayo based sauce on the inside, which makes it just that much more special. Second, I like the eel avocado roll. Eel coupled with avocado and eel sauce creates such an intense, distinct flavor. In all honesty, I've never had anything bad from Yuki, and I think I have tried a good portion of their menu. Their salmon sashimi is one of my favorites. I know, I know, you think there is nothing to that, but isn't there? In fact, it is the most important thing to do right, because when sashimi is bad, its really bad! At Yuki, the sashimi is awesome! First, the appearance.....it has an even, bold color, and all the salmon sashimi are the same size, the same thickness, and perfectly sliced, nothing measly and nothing obnoxious.....just the perfect size. Next, there's the smell.....fresh, like the ocean. Then, the texture.....just the right amount of firmness at first, and then, it melts in your mouth.....only the really good sashimi does this. Finally, the taste....full of gentle flavor. There is nothing like the perfect piece of salmon sashimi......with a good sake to wash it down! Last, I have one favorite entree.....just one because there is no way anything else can possibly compete with this one.....Saikyo Yaki, grilled black cod with saikyo miso flavor. Oh my god! Oh my god! It is to die for! I don't even think words can do it justice. It is the absolute best way to eat black cod, and once I had this dish, black cod became my new favorite type of fish. Yuki is never a disappointment. They even give you these little Japanese hard candies when you leave that feel like a crystallized drop of soda pop in your mouth as it dissolves-fun!

.

Sadly, Yuki is no longer in existence. Manhattan is a tough place for a restaurant.

.

No comments: