Wednesday, February 3, 2010

La Distileria

February 1st-

I did subtitle this blog "Mostly Manhattan Restaurant Reviews". I say this because my next very brief review is from a place that is so not Manhattan in the loveliest of ways. La Distileria is in Cancun, Mexico. Yes, it sounds touristy. Yes, it is touristy, complete with Mariachi, but then again, I was a tourist. They were right down the street from our hotel, Me by Melia, and were heralded as having an enormous selection of tequila, of which we had not indulged in thus far. It somehow seemed wrong not to partake in any tequila the entire time we were there. So, why not go right to the source? I have to say, I did have the best margarita......it was a Tamarind flavored. You didn't think I was going to have anything resembling the status quo, did you? It was like no drink I have ever tasted before, and now, I am afraid, I will be in search of ways to bring this drink to my apartment in Manhattan even in freezing cold February. Anyway......we didn't just drink. We ordered a few things.....some cheese dip, which came out like an unappetizing glob of stringy, not so melty goo, and steak, which was perfectly cooked, and had a wonderful just off the grill flavor. The steak was drenched in a guacamole and black bean sauce, which was tasty, and served with a side of boring white rice and really good re-fried black beans. We did get to eat this while sitting outside overlooking the boats bobbing on the dock of the bay, on a warm Cancun evening, and I can't tell how much my euphoric state of relaxation has affected this review, but an awesome time was definitely had.

No comments: