Thursday, July 24, 2014

Bowery Bay

10-33 Ditmars Blvd., Astoria, NY 718-721-1933 I love this place so much I’m almost afraid to write about it and risk not being able to get a table whenever I want to, and containing my excitement over the fact that it is in walking distance from my apartment is near impossible. Alas, it seems selfish to keep it to myself, so here you go. I’ve been here several times, for brunch, for drinks, late dinner, early dinner, with a baby, without a baby…..every time it is great. It’s good for couples, good for families, good for drinks with friends, anything. The atmosphere is cozy and unpretentious, small, but perfect….has a real neighborhood feeling to it. I want it to be my new “Cheers”. I want to be Norman at the bar every night. Ok, my alcoholic dreams aside, this place has truly terrific food. Jacques Pepin said the test of a good chef is being able to cook a chicken properly. I figure this man knows what he’s talking about, so last night I had the “Chicken Under Brick”. I woke up thinking about it this morning. I am not kidding…..wondering if, by chance, I brought home leftovers, and just forgot. No such luck. Here’s the thing, I don’t really even like chicken that much. It’s my least favorite meat. I don’t think I have ever ordered it in a restaurant, like ever, but when I saw the description…..”hearts of romaine, soft boiled egg, lemon crème, stilton bleu cheese, anchovy croutons, I was compelled, and order the chicken, I did!
It fell off the bone- so moist! The various flavors complimented each other perfectly. It was like a chicken Caesar salad with a giant upgrade. I might go back and order it again tonight. Yeah, I so am. Ok, now let me tell you about a dish that should be called” Bowery Bay crack”. This was on their menu in their last life as Bistro 33, and when they reincarnated, they tried to remove it from the menu, but there was so much demand for it, they had to put it back. See? Crack. It’s the Lobster Mac and cheese……Maine lobster, fontina, gruyere, mozzarella, white truffle oil. You’re drooling. I know it. You should be. It’s manna from heaven. It might make me believe in god, it’s that good.
This food goes down great with their cocktails. I am the absolute pickiest person when it comes to my festive beverages, so much so, that I rarely order anything but a classic or dirty martini, because almost every time I muster up the strength to expand my horizons, I am disappointed. Drinks are either too weak, too sugary, or made with less than fantastic ingredients, aka premixes. Who drinks these things? They appeal to the palate of a toddler, and a toddler I am not. I heard a rumor that this place was one of the only places serving Queens Courage gin that is made right here in Astoria. Wanting to support local businesses, I decided to give it a try. Yeah, that’s why. I’m glad I did. I am now in search of this gin, so I can procure it for my home sipping pleasure. Let me know if you find it.
I tried the Local G&T, North Beach Pimms Cup and the Queens Triforce, for research purposes, of course, and you know, support. The local G&T and the Pimms Cup are light and refreshing, where the Queens Triforce is a pretty beverage, great for sipping. They have a variety of beer, too. Although, I can’t speak to that, not being much of a beer drinker myself. I heard the Dreamweaver was like a hefferveisen.
Ok, so, I didn’t get to the dessert menu, because, well, there was that cocktail research, but I think I’ve given you enough reasons to give this place a visit. If that’s not enough, they also have random movies showing every Wednesday night. Last night they showed “The Princess Bride”. So, check this place out, just make sure you leave me a seat at the bar.

No comments: