Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Frozen Almond Bars

What does one do at 2:30 in the morning when one should be sleeping, and preparing for the soon to come adventures of a busy toddler? Write, of course. Here goes. So, I am constantly making things that I find so simple I deem not worthy of writing down. These are, however, the same things that completely vanish from memory after the fact, until something like Timehop brings it back into consciousness. This time, I decided to write a couple down. We will begin with the frozen almond bars. Since my afore mentioned toddler loves almond milk, I have become obsessed with providing her the freshest, most nutritious version possible. Enter Soyajoy G4. Let me start by professing my undying love for this newly acquired contraption. I could write pages describing all of its wonderful attributes, but this is a post on almond bars, not my beloved Soyajoy, so I will refrain. Anyway, the procedure of creating almond milk leaves you with two things in the end, the milk and the pulp. In seeking to find ways to make use of this pulp, which I'm certain is still full of nutrients, I have googled and googled and finally have come up with my own version of almond bars....the simplest version possible. So simple, I doubt it could actually be classified as a recipe. You'll see. Take the leftover almond pulp and mix it with almond butter until it forms a sticky, not runny texture. Spread into a baking dish, making it about half an inch thick, sprinkle with pink Himalayan sea salt, cover and freeze. Once frozen, cut into small bars and put back into a storage container in the freezer to pull out whenever you crave a bite of pure awesomeness. Of course, you can switch it up by adding mini chocolate chips, shredded coconut, the options are endless. However, I had just returned from a much needed vacation to South Beach and almond pulp and almond butter were pretty much the only things left in my kitchen at that time. Yes, that is seriously it. See? That is precisely why I never write these things down. Now I have. You're welcome.

No comments: