Friday, August 20, 2010

Fresh Summer Salsa

I know tomatoes are nightshades and all, but I love them so! Ok, I am not talking about the reddish round things you find in the supermarket in the middle of January that they call tomatoes. No! Those are a depressing travesty! They have no taste whatsoever, and barely any nutrients, either. You may as well eat rubber. I am talking about heirloom tomatoes from the farmers market....or better yet....your own garden in August! My favorite are Brandywines....Black Brandywines especially. If you can get your paws on some of these....do! They are really great for things like tomato, basil and mozzarella salads or anything that you want a nice, juicy, gorgeous slice of tomato. Last weekend at the farmers market I found some beautiful grape and cherry tomatoes in all colors....red, orange, pink with green stripes....so fantastic! One of the things I like to do in the summer is make fresh tomato salsa. It goes great on a nice whitefish with some guacamole- the perfect dinner in the summer heat! Here is my salsa recipe:

Ingredients-
Organic farmers market tomatoes
Red onion
Garlic
Cilantro
Salt

Chop tomatoes, garlic, onion and cilantro and combine. Salt to taste. Yup- that's really it. Sometimes, I don't even add the garlic. You could add a touch of honey if you want it to be a little sweet, or a touch of tabasco for a bit of a kick. The most important thing is to get good quality tomatoes, because they are what provides all of the flavor.

No comments: