Friday, May 23, 2008

The Flatiron Lounge/Jane

May 16th-

The Flatiron Lounge

It was Friday night and despite the rain, I wanted to go out. So, my husband suggested we go to The Flatiron Lounge. When I walked in, I instantly remembered that we had been here years before when visiting Manhattan. It's a great place to hang out, chat and have drinks. The interior is art deco, which adds a bit of old glamor to the ambiance, but it isn't fancy, and it is pretty dark in there, so it still feels very casual and welcoming. The drink menu is the main reason to come. Everything is unusual and interesting. I fell in love with a jasmine martini myself. You could really taste the jasmine....it was delicate and so refreshing. It even had a pretty little flower in it as a garnish. Nathan had a few different bourbon/whiskey based concoctions.....which I now cannot remember the names of, since I am writing this a week after we were actually there.....the main reason for me writing this blog in the first place....so I can remember where we went and what we had. Anyway, I recommend coming here for fun drinks and good conversation. It's a youthful crowd, so you don't feel like you're drinking with grandpa.

Jane

By this time, we were starving, so we headed off to Jane. Apparently the same people own/run The Smith, which we both liked, also own/run Jane.....and it was recommended to us by one of Nathan's coworkers, Sarika, who we believe to have pretty good taste. So, to Jane we went. Jane was hip and fun, and the food was delicious. Our waiter was this fabulously flaming gay African American man with a mohawk and I loved him. The music was all 80s/90s.....and this energized us. We started out with the salmon, avocado tartare which was so fresh tasting and full of flavor. Nathan wasn't as impressed with it as I was, but if you are a lover of salmon and avocado like I am, you will adore this dish. The next dish did trump it, however. It was one of the specials.....carpacio with a fried poached egg. Oh my god! Talk about decadent and delicious! The carpacio was so tender, it pretty much melted in your mouth, and the egg was perfectly crunchy on the outside and full of gooey goodness on the inside. Yum! I have been replaying the experience of eating this in my head all week. It was that good. In fact, I don't even remember what we had for an entree anymore. Just go to Jane.

No comments: