Saturday, May 3, 2008

Metro Diner

May 3rd-

I woke up late and starving.....and was in no mood for my usual breakfast of hot tea and puffed spelt cakes with cream cheese. So....we set off in search of Metro Diner on the Upper West Side. We ate here once before and they made perfect bacon. This was what I wanted to eat again. We got right in.....one booth left, seemingly just for us. I ordered eggs over easy with crispy bacon and wheat toast. Nathan ordered an egg, cheese and bacon sandwich. We both had coffee, which was surprisingly tasty for a diner. Nathan liked his sandwich, but just by looking at it, I could tell that I wouldn't have....the bun was huge....way too much bread. There is a delicate balance in the ratio between bread to stuff in the middle. I like the bread to be the supporting actor, personally. My eggs were perfect. My bacon.....not. I may have to give up entirely on ever ordering bacon again. It seems that no one really knows how to make extra crispy bacon, and whenever, by some miracle, you are lucky enough to be presented with some, it is just a fluke! Maybe I should start asking for almost burnt bacon. I wonder if that would work. All in all, I really like this place. The food is good, cheap and fast.......and the service is always friendly.

No comments: