Saturday, May 31, 2008

Extra Virgin/Gusto

May 30th-

Extra Virgin

I met Nathan just outside the Metro stop at 14th near Balducci's after he was done working and we walked over to Extra Virgin. We had been there before, and I really liked it, but we haven't been back since. They don't accept reservations, so coming from the Upper West Side to stand outside in the cold to wait for a table has never been that appealing to me. Today, however, was a beautiful day. Since we were there so early, we got right in anyway. We usually go somewhere for drinks, then dinner, but Nathan was very hungry, so we did the opposite. We began with a cocktail. Nathan got his usual vodka gimlet and I, in spirit of a beautiful summery day, asked for a watermelon martini. It was fresh and fantastic. They then brought us some bread and olive oil. I don't usually care for the bread, but since this place is named after the olive oil, I figured I should try it. It was worth it. The olive oil was very good. We decided to follow our usual strategy of two appetizers and one entree, all shared. Both appetizers came at once, even though we had specifically asked for them to be brought to us one at a time. I guess, that concept was too difficult for our waitress to comprehend. The first thing I tried was the Roasted Artichoke Parmesan with poached egg, pancetta and hollandaise. I could have eaten that three times in a row it was so good! Every item was perfect, and the combination was delicious. In fact, I really wish I was eating it right now. Seriously. Who could bring that to me right now as I sit here writing this in my pajamas? Anyone? Next, I tried the Prosciutto wrapped Sea Scallops with truffle whipped potato, porcini sauce and red grapes. I think Nathan liked this one better than I did, although it was very good as well. The scallops were moist and tasty, but I had to peel the fatty limp bacon off the sides of them in order for it to be appetizing. There is nothing I hate more than fatty, limp bacon. It should be outlawed. I enjoyed the truffle whipped potatoes.....I am always willing to try potatoes a new way....one of my favorite vegetables, and the sauce added a nice rich touch to the dish. Our entree was then brought to us.....Halibut simply grilled with fresh herbs, tomato carpaccio, arugula and extra virgin olive oil. It was a prefect description of the dish.....very fresh, good quality.....simply delicious. Nathan wanted dessert, so we ordered the strawberry cheesecake. The strawberries and the puree that accompanied the cake were good, and the whipped cream that was on top of the cheesecake was obviously freshly made and delicious, but the cheesecake itself could have come out of the freezer section of any random grocery store. I do like this restaurant.....hip, tasty, in a fun neighborhood. We will keep it in our list of places to return to.

Gusto-

So, the Geeters (aka what we call Kevin and Debbie....this was all Nathan's doing....I won't even try to explain that one) were on their way back to their hood.....which we were in.....so we decided to find a place to hang out and have a few drinks. Because it was such a nice night, we walked around for a bit, but there was only so much my heeled feet could handle....and oddly enough they always seem to give out on this same particular corner. Tonight we decided to go to the restaurant we usually stare at from across the street.....Gusto. As I went to the ladies room to refresh myself, Nathan ordered me a drink. I told him to surprise me. He did well. When I came back there was a beautiful sunny limoncello awaiting me. Yum! Shortly after that the Geeters joined us. They ordered more drinks.....some Moscato.....and some dessert.....a lemon cake of sorts and something ice cream like with chocolate....both obviously forgettable. The service was wonderful, though.....and ooooh.....the limoncello.

No comments: